Sunday, February 18, 2018

How I got into dolls as an adult...

My adult journey started after my boyfriend, now husband, and I were taking a trip to the mall just after Christmas, when I visited him where he was living. There was a mall stand selling realistic sized dolls, My Way Baby. I fell in love with one of the pre-made dolls. I though it looked like my boyfriend as a child. They were on sale as the stand was closing for the season. So my boyfriend bought him for me. I also picked out a few outfits to go with him. A few weeks later I was at Toys R Us picking out a birthday present for my little cousin. I wandered into the doll isle and saw a doll sized Graco pack-n-play. I thought it would be great for my new little edition. I only had enough money to get the birthday present so I tucked the pack-n-play in the back of my mind. That night while talking to my boyfriend I mentioned it. He was a bit confused so I pulled up ToysRus' website and messaged him the link. While on the site I started reading the reviews on the Pack-n-Play. One of the reviews mentioned an "Electronic Neonate" doll. This intrigued me. So I googled searched the term.

I was brought to a wonderful page. My eyes lit up when I saw it. There on my computer screen were dolls. Not just any dolls BUT dolls that looked like the Baby Think it Over dolls from high school that I fell in love with. But that wasn't the best part. The best part was ANYONE could buy them. They had a few different types. There was the basic 3; Unweighted Neonate- a basic light weight baby doll; Weighted Neonate- a basic baby doll with a bag inside that added weight, and Electronic Neonate- an electric baby doll similar to the RealCare baby. The difference between the RealCare and Electronic Neonate were that the RealCare was a simulator on a real baby schedule and the Electronic Neonate was a play doll so it cycled through care quickly. I was so excited. Here was my chance to finally own an electronic baby, made from the a doll I loved.

The excitement was short lived when I realized that the Neonates store was closing, and not just closing but closing in a week. On the plus side of that the dolls and all items were 50% off. I called my boyfriend crying. Here I found the exact baby I had wanted from a couple years prior to find out it was slipping through my hands. He told me to call them and order one. To put it on my credit card and he'd pay my card. The joy returned. Only to come crashing down when I called. I first asked if they had any Caucasian Electronic Neonate boys left. I was told there wasn't. So I asked if there was any Electronic Neonates left. The lady was kind and apologized saying they were all sold. I was on the verge of tears. She then told me they had ONE Caucasian weighted Neonate boy left. I figured he was better than nothing. So I decided on him and an extra set of diapers, I now regret not getting a few other Neonate items. I set it up to have my baby shipped to my boyfriend, as I knew if I got the doll delivered to my home my parents would be angry as I was "to old for dolls." It go to the card information. When I gave the lady my card number she apologized again saying they only took Visa and MasterCard, which my card was neither. I asked her if she could hold the order and if my boyfriend could call with his number. She said that was fine. So I called him telling him what was going on. He then called to finish the order. I was ecstatic! I began going through baby name websites to find the perfect name. Oh and I went to ToysRus to pick up that doll pack-n-play.

A few days later my boyfriend called me after he had gotten done with work to let me know the baby boy was delivered. I couldn't wait till he drove down for the weekend. I had hit up a few thrift stores waiting. I also pulled out all the baby stuff I had from when I had life sized dolls as a child. I got everything washed up and ready to go for the new bundle. That Friday was Valentine's Day. So my boyfriend drove down after work. He got to my house late that evening and brought the box right into the house. I kissed him and ran down to my room to open the box.

Welcome Skyler Nicholas!

No comments:

Post a Comment